Think Before You Buy
Nearly everything we buy impacts the environment, including the materials and energy it takes to make and operate each purchase. Ditch “single-use,” and look for more sustainably sourced products and energy-efficient devices.
- Look for the Forest Stewardship Council seal when choosing wood and paper products
- Look for the Rainforest Alliance seal to support products that contribute to biodiversity and sustainable livelihoods
- The Fair Trade Certified seal is placed on goods that support responsible companies, empower farmers, workers, and fishermen, and protect the environment.
- Choose EnergyStar devices
- Reduce plastics with this plastic-free shopping guide
Think Before You Throw Away
Reuse, repair, or donate gently used items whenever possible. If you need to throw something away, check with your city or town to learn about the best way to recycle or dispose of unwanted items.
What About Population?
More people on the planet increases our environmental impact. While it can be sensitive to discuss, in wealthy countries, we might reflect on our choices about family size. In growing countries, supporting access to education and young women’s empowerment can lead to more effective family planning.